St. Cloud State Husky DECA took home nine top-three finishes at the Minnesota Collegiate DECA State Career Development Conference Feb. 16-17 in Brooklyn Park.
Thirteen students represented St. Cloud State. Each competed in two events.
“We’re carrying on a St. Cloud State tradition,” said Craig Wilson, assistant professor of accounting. “We finished our fourth State DECA Conference and Competition for St. Cloud State and earned our fourth consecutive Community Service award.”
The State Career Development Conference provides students the opportunity to experience real life business scenarios in an environment that provides them with feedback and growth opportunities.
The student-driven organization puts an entrepreneurial focus on five academic areas: Marketing and sales; arts, communications and technology; business management and administration; finance and accounting; and hospitality and tourism. Experienced industry professionals interact with students in a judged format and students earn recognition based on their performance.
Earning first place honors were:
– Shabin Ahmed (Bangladesh) – Accounting
– Shelby Ridinger (Cloquet) – Human Resource Management
– Saira Moore (Lakeville) and Hannah Pepich (Richland Center, Wisconsin), duo – Sports and Entertainment Marketing
Second place winners were:
– Trevor Voss (Sauk Rapids) – Accounting
– Derek Frederick (Cold Spring) – Restaurant and Food Service Management
– Tony Margiotta (Brooklyn Park) – Corporate Finance
– Taylor Biskey (Sauk Rapids) and Trevor Voss, duo – Financial Statement Analysis
Third place awards went to:
– Tigest Kigeneh (Ethiopia) and Shabin Ahmed, duo – Financial Statement Analysis
– Abby McDonald (Ramsey) – Marketing Management
Earning leadership awards were:
– Chloe Hoeft (Maple Grove)
– Andrew Clauson (Morris, Illinois)
– Shelby Ridinger