They hail from Pipestone and Lagos, Nigeria. They aspire to be educators, social workers, healthcare workers, engineers and business professionals, among other careers. The students come from three U.S. states and six countries and include representatives from all six St. Cloud State University colleges and schools and are being recognized this spring for outstanding leadership.
Meet our 2020 Excellence in Leadership award winners, they were honored via a virtual banquet video in April.
The 25 students were recognized for their academic achievements and leadership skills. Applications were evaluated by a team of 20 faculty and staff judges from across campus.
Award recipients include:
- Nihmotullahi Adesalu , Lagos, Nigeria
- Kamal Atassi, Minneapolis
- Shantelle Des Marais, Pipestone
- Fabiola Diaz, Ramsey
- Jerry Duckworth, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Benjamin Ericksen, Annandale
- Carly Frederick-Thompson, Lakeville
- Lauren Glassbrenner, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Alec Hafferman, Edgar, Wisconsin
- Hamza Junaid, Lahore, Pakistan
- Nishant Kafley, Sarlahi, Nepal
- McKenna Klaphake, Blaine
- Haley Lenway, Austin
- Eleanor Nelson, Maple Grove
- Kayla Nessmann, Appleton, Wisconsin
- Anna Panek, Avon
- Taylor Richards, Darlingford, Manitoba, Canada
- Brenda Robles Espinosa, Jerez, Zacatecas, Mexico
- Andrew Spaulding, Andover
- Kassidy Steen, Cloquet
- Srijana Thapa, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Benedict Thoms-Warzecha, Little Falls
- Kridish Uprety, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Jessica VanderWerf, Gainesville, Florida
- Kabao Yang, Minnetonka
Excellence in Leadership Awards are usually presented at a formal banquet each spring, but the in-person event was canceled due to the response to the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic to ensure the health and safety of students, faculty and staff members. Winners will receive their engraved medallion, certificate and a copy of the program book.